|Country||United States of America|
|• Total||2.33 sq mi (6.02 km2)|
|• Land||2.33 sq mi (6.02 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|• Density||7,926.88/sq mi (3,060.09/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||597451|
Glassmanor is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States. As of the 2020 census, it had a population of 18,430. In the 1990 and 2000 censuses, the United States Census Bureau had placed Glassmanor and the adjacent community of Oxon Hill in the "Oxon Hill-Glassmanor" census-designated place for statistical purposes. Glassmanor was last delineated separately in 1980, when the CDP recorded a population of 7,751.
The original Glassmanor apartments were built circa 1950 by the Glassman company, just outside the border of southeast Washington. In the mid-1950s, the Eastover shopping center was built across the highway, followed by other adjoining apartment projects in the 1960s. U.S. Senator George McGovern, who was the Democratic Party's presidential candidate in 1972, lived briefly in Glassmanor while a freshman congressman. The area has undergone tremendous demographic and social changes since that time.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Glassmanor has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.1 km2), all land. The CDP is bordered by Washington, D.C. to the northwest, the town of Forest Heights to the west, Oxon Hill to the south, Temple Hills to the southeast, Marlow Heights to the east, and Hillcrest Heights to the northeast. Interstate 495/95, the Capital Beltway, forms the southern boundary of the Glassmanor CDP.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
|Race / Ethnicity||Pop 2010||Pop 2020||% 2010||% 2020|
|White alone (NH)||275||298||1.59%||1.62%|
|Black or African American alone (NH)||15,254||13,581||88.20%||73.69%|
|Native American or Alaska Native alone (NH)||24||40||0.14%||0.22%|
|Asian alone (NH)||126||179||0.73%||0.97%|
|Pacific Islander alone (NH)||5||7||0.03%||0.04%|
|Some Other Race alone (NH)||23||86||0.13%||0.47%|
|Mixed Race/Multi-Racial (NH)||286||406||1.65%||2.20%|
|Hispanic or Latino (any race)||1,302||3,833||7.53%||20.80%|
Prince George's County Police Department District 4 Station in Glassmanor CDP, with an Oxon Hill postal address, serves the community. The Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department and Oxon Hill Volunteer Fire Department provide fire protection and emergency medical services from Fire Station 842 located in Glassmanor.
Elementary schools serving sections of the CDP include Barnaby Manor, Flintstone, Forest Heights, Glassmanor, and Valley View. Benjamin Stoddert and Oxon Hill middle schools serve sections of the CDP. All residents are zoned to Potomac High School.
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved April 26, 2022.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Glassmanor, Maryland
- "Glassmanor CDP, Maryland". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved April 15, 2022.
- "1980 Census Number of Inhabitants - Maryland." United States Census Bureau. Retrieved on June 17, 2022.
- Washingtonian magazine, February 1983, page 105
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Glassmanor CDP, Maryland". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 19, 2011.
- "Decennial Census of Population and Housing by Decades". US Census Bureau.
- "P2 HISPANIC OR LATINO, AND NOT HISPANIC OR LATINO BY RACE – 2010: DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171) – Glassmanor CDP, Maryland". United States Census Bureau.
- "P2 HISPANIC OR LATINO, AND NOT HISPANIC OR LATINO BY RACE – 2020: DEC Redistricting Data (PL 94-171) – Glassmanor CDP, Maryland". United States Census Bureau.
- "District 4 Station - Oxon Hill." Prince George's County Police Department. Retrieved on September 9, 2018. " 5135 Indian Head Highway Oxon Hill, MD 20745". Beat map.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Glassmanor CDP, MD." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 29, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on August 29, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD MIDDLE SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on August 29, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD HIGH SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on August 29, 2018.
- Home. Owens Road Elementary School. February 7, 2005. Retrieved on September 8, 2018. "Owens Road Elementary School 1616 Owens Road Oxon Hill, MD 20745"
- McKeever, Megan; Joshua Garner (June 25, 2009). "Parents, students, staff reflect on consolidations, closures". The Gazette. Retrieved September 8, 2018.